Proper watering is critical to the health of your houseplants. Too much or too little water can cause serious issues for your plants and could limit their ability to grow or thrive. In some cases, the wrong watering techniques could kill your houseplants outright. Investing in quality plant saucers is a good first step toward healthier houseplants. Here are some guidelines for watering your potted plants to keep them green and healthy now and in the future.
Choose the Right Way to Water
For most houseplants, a gentle approach works best for watering.
- Most gardening experts recommend soaking the soil completely with a watering can and allowing it to drain through holes at the bottom of the pot. This can be repeated as many times as necessary to ensure that the plant stays hydrated and healthy.
- An alternative method of watering involves filling a plant saucer with water and placing the houseplant and its pot into the saucer. This can allow the plant to drink the water it wants over the course of 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the houseplant, empty the saucer and allow the pot to drain any excess back into the saucer.
Be careful not to overwater. Properly sized plant saucers and hanging basket drip pans can hold the precise amount of water needed to moisten all the soil in a pot. To ensure the right size, choose a saucer that fits over the top of the pot. This will ensure adequate water for your plant when using the saucer method of watering.
Timing Is Important
Making sure your plants get the right amount of water when they need it is the best way to ensure that they stay healthy. Overwatering your plants can be just as dangerous as failing to water them at all. You can use a few proven methods to determine whether to water or wait:
- By touching the soil in the pot, you can sometimes tell whether it is dried out or still moist from the last time you watered.
- Moisture-indicator strips can also be used to let you know when it is time to water your plants.
- For a more permanent solution, a moisture meter can provide ongoing information about the moisture levels of the soil in your houseplant’s pot.
These tools can help you ensure the ideal moisture levels for your plants to enhance your indoor décor.
The experts at Curtis Wagner Plastics Corp. can provide pet place mats and hanging basket drip pans designed with the needs of your customers in mind. We work with retailers and provide top-quality plastic products that offer the durability and value your customers want and need. Call us today at 713-937-3784 to place an order or to discuss your requirements with us. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.